What is GIS?[divider]
- A geographic information system (GIS) integrates hardware, software, and data for capturing, managing, analyzing, and displaying all forms of geographically referenced information.
- GIS allows us to view, understand, question, interpret, and visualize data in many ways that reveal relationships, patterns, and trends in the form of maps, globes, reports, and charts.
- A GIS helps you answer questions and solve problems by looking at your data in a way that is quickly understood and easily shared.
- GIS technology can be integrated into any enterprise information system framework.
Top Five Benefits of GIS[divider]
GIS benefits organizations of all sizes and in almost every industry. There is a growing awareness of the economic and strategic value of GIS. The benefits of GIS generally fall into five basic categories:
- Cost Savings and Increased Efficiency
- Better Decision Making
- Improved Communication
- Better Recordkeeping
- Managing Geographically
GIS gives us a new way to look at the world around us. With GIS you can:
- Map Where Things Are
- Map Quantities
- Map Densities
- Find What’s Inside
- Find What’s Nearby
- Map Change